Australia will be joining a growing global industry that’s worth over $US570 million in the US and Canada alone.
Food Standards Australia New Zealand acknowledges hemp as a highly nutritious food with many health benefits. Hemp as a plant is one of the most versatile of crops which is used widely in fibre, fabrics, building materials, paper and bio plastics.
“Hemp also removes more CO2 from the air than trees do and is highly pest, weed and drought resistant,” said Hemp Foods Australia CEO Paul Benhaim. “Unlike corn, cotton, soy, wheat and rice, Hemp uses a lot less water and doesn’t require pesticides or herbicides. It also yields food that is more nutritious than all these others combined and isn’t plagued by their allergies.”
Hemp Foods Australia said hemp seeds come from the same plant species as cannabis or marijuana but contains little or no THC so those who consume it won’t test positive on a drug test. They are highly nutritious and exceptionally rich in healthy fats, protein and various minerals. It has a mild, nutty flavor that’s a nutritious addition to many foods. Hemp Seeds are the second highest source of whole vegetable protein, containing all 21 essential amino acids and the optimum Omega 3 : 6 profile (1:4).
- Nutritious, whole protein, containing 21 amino acids, including all 9 essential amino acids
- Whole hemp seeds contain over 30 per cent healthy fats and are exceptionally rich in Omega 3, essential for brain function, growth and development. A diet rich in Omega 3 has also been shown to contribute to reducing inflammation, heart disease, blood pressure and depression
- High amounts of vitamin E, phosphorus, potassium, sodium, magnesium, sulfur, calcium, iron and zinc
- High amounts of soluble and insoluble fiber, which may benefit digestive health
- Contains more protein than both chia seeds and flaxseeds
- Hemp seed oil has been used as a food or medicine in China for over 3,000 years
Hemp Seed Australia said the hemp plant can be consumed as a seed, oil, flour or protein powder. It also can be used to bake, added to a smoothie, salad or meal ingredient. The seed is fully digestible and can be consumed directly without heating or soaking.