The same processor is also at the centre of a massive recall of frozen sweet corn, mixed vegetables, carrots and broccoli from stores across England, according to the UK Food Standards Agency.
All of the products being recalled in Australia contain veggies sourced via Belgium and Hungary and are being sold in Woolworths, Aldi and IGA.
“The products affected contain a particularly dangerous strain of listeria and are being recalled as a precautionary measure to ensure consumers are protected,” Food Standards Australia New Zealand said.
Listeria can cause illness in pregnant women and their unborn babies, the elderly and people with low immune systems such as cancer and organ transplant patients. Around 150 people are hospitalised and about 15 die each year due to listeria infection. In healthy people the infection may be mistaken for a mild viral infection or flu.
The general symptoms include headache, fever, tiredness and aches and pains as well as diarrhoea, nausea and abdominal cramps. Australians are being told the check their freezers and destroy the products or return them to the place of purchase for a refund.
The products are:
* Woolworths – Essentials snap frozen mixed veg 1kg: Carrots, peas, corn, green beans & potatoes
* Woolworths – Bell Farms Steam Veggie Carrot Corn and Broccoli 3pk 450g
* IGA – Black & Gold Corn Kernels 500g
* IGA – Black & Gold Mixed Vegetables 1kg: Carrots, peas, beans & corn
* ALDI – Market Fare Peas, Carrots and Super Sweet Corn 1kg
* ALDI – Market Fare Corn Kernels 1kg QLD, VIC, WA and select NSW stores
* ALDI – Market Fare Mixed Vegetables 1kg QLD, NSW, ACT, WA
* ALDI – Market Fare Quick Steam Carrot Broccoli and Cauliflower 450g
* ALDI – Market Fare Quick Steam Carrot Corn and Broccoli 450g