Vic listeria case linked to veggie recall
But the patient’s death earlier this year means authorities will never know if they ate the suspect vegies.
The Victorian, whose age and gender have not been supplied by the state’s health department, was also being treated for another serious illness when they died.
Listeriosis is an illness usually caused by eating food contaminated by bacteria which can grow in food at refrigeration temperatures, the department said. It is particularly dangerous for pregnant women, the elderly and people with weakened immune systems.
The 10 products being recalled in Australia contain vegetables sourced via Belgium and Hungary and are being sold in major supermarkets including Woolworths, Aldi and IGA. Food Standards Australia New Zealand issued the recall on Monday which led to people checking their freezers for the products which may be contaminated.
“While many people will follow cooking instructions properly (which should kill listeria bacteria) we are aware that some people eat frozen vegetables straight from the freezer,” the agency’s acting chief executive Peter May said.
The products – details of which can be found at http://www.foodstandards.gov.