Australia bans sale of caffeine powder
Australia is banning the sale of pure caffeine powder after a young man died of an overdose.
In 2018, a 21-year-old died from acute caffeine toxicity after ingesting one teaspoon of powder.
A single teaspoon of pure caffeine can be the equivalent of between 25 and 50 cups of coffee.
The ban will not affect products such as coffee, energy drinks and sports foods, which have much lower concentrations of caffeine.
“Lachlan Foote’s death was an absolute tragedy and our government is determined to prevent something like this occurring again,” Minister for Youth and Sport Richard Colbeck said on Friday.
“The dangers of pure caffeine powder cannot be underestimated.”
Senator Colbeck cautioned young people against buying caffeine supplements online.
“Australians are also reminded to be cautious about the products they may be purchasing from overseas or online, which may not be safe,” he said.
Pure caffeine levels in listed medicines have also been restricted to limit the risk of accidental overdoses.