Aldi wines receive top gong at Melbourne International Wine Competition
In this year’s competition, companies were able to enter multiple wines in different categories. Thus, ALDI Stores had 8 different medal winners, including one Double Gold winner (One Road 2015 Shiraz), one Gold winner (One Road 2015 Cabernet Merlot), two Silver winners, and four Bronze winners.
Judges included Bob Paulinski, MW (head of Sourcing –Wine, Coles Liquor), Bert Wyden (buyer and director at WineStar) and Andrew Roper (founder & chief selector – Wines to the Stars).
This year’s list of Double Gold winners included the following wines:
- Sidewood Estate 2013 Isabella Rose
- Idyll Wine Co St. Andrews 2016 Cabernet Sauvignon
- Reillys Wine Dry Land 2014 Cabernet Sauvignon
- Trifon Estate 2013 Family Reserve Cabernet Sauvignon
- Champagne Lanson NB Extra Age Brut
- Sum of the Few Wines 2016 Chardonnay
- Sieber Road Wines 2015 Shiraz/Grenache
- McGuigan 2014 Shortlist GSM
- James Busby Fine Wines The Fabulist 2016 Pinot Noir
- Soumah of Yarra Valley 2016 Soumah Pinot Noir Hexham
- Wild Earth Wines 2014 Pinot Noir
- Wild Earth Wines 2014 Special Edition Pinot Noir
- One Road 2015 Shiraz (ALDI Stores)
- Bird in Hand 2013 MAC Shiraz
- Old Plains Wine Co. Longhop 2015 Shiraz
- Norfolk Rise Vineyard 2016 Shiraz
- Pondalowie Vineyards 2015 Shiraz
- Harcourt Valley Vineyards 2016 Mt Camel Range Shiraz
- Cantine San Marzano 2016 Edda Chardonnay, Moscatello Selvatico, Fiano Minutolo, Passulara
The next 5th Annual Melbourne International Wine Competition will take place on June 24, 2018. In addition, the founders of the Melbourne event are planning additional wine competitions within Asia.