The 2018 Australian Women in Wine Awards (AWIWA) recognised top women in the wine sector at an Awards Day in Sydney.
The award giving body recognised Kate Goodman, owner of Goodman Wines / Penley Estate, with “Winemaker of the Year”; Nicole Pitman, Kingston Estate owner as “Viticulturist of the Year” and Sarah Marquis, CEO of Mollydooker Wines as “Owner/Operator of the Year”.
“It’s a tremendous honour to be recognised as a valuable contributor to the industry I am so passionate about, and in doing so help the community organisations we support through the success of the business,” Marquis said.
Marquis is the businesswoman behind Mollydooker’s, Lefty, Family and Love series of wines and the Velvet Glove Shiraz with her former husband. In May 2017, she took full ownership of Mollydooker Wines and took the family business to the international wine landscape. Under her leadership, Mollydooker Wines has also won the Business SA 2017 Regional Exporter Award. Currently 80 per cent its production each year is exported around the world.
“I immediately took steps to increase the level of professionalism in management and to realise Mollydooker’s full potential,” said Marquis. “By cultivating a collaborative working environment, introducing accountability and empowering my team we have been able to grow all aspects of the business.”
The award recognises business owners who has made an outstanding contribution to their companies and the Australian wine industry. The Australian Women In Wine Awards is an awards platform for women in wine. In its 4th year, the awards recognises the contributions of women in the Australian wine community, who inspires the new generations of women in wine.
2018 Australian Women in Wine Awards winners:
- Winemaker of the Year – sponsored by Tonnellerie Saint Martin
- Kate Goodman, Goodman Wines / Penley Estate
- Viticulturist of the Year – sponsored by Wine Australia
- Nicole Pitman, Kingston Estate
- Owner / Operator of the Year – sponsored by WineWorks Australia
- Sarah Marquis, Mollydooker Wines
- Workplace Champion of Change – sponsored by Winemakers’ Federation of Australia
- Lara Simic, Winestate Publishing
- Cellar Door Person of the Year – sponsored by Platinum Bags
- Janine Carter, Voyager Estate
- Researcher / Innovator of the Year – sponsored by Angove Family Winemakers
- Dr. Jacqui McRae, Australian Wine Research Institute
- Marketer of the Year – sponsored by Denomination
- Lynda Schenk – Purple Giraffe
- Woman of Inspiration – sponsored by Irvine Wines
- Tamara Grischy, Langtons