Local brand remains top cheese to Aussies
Iconic Victorian-based cheese manufacturer Warrnambool Cheese & Butter has reaffirmed Australia’s appetite for locally-made cheeses, with its Warrnambool Heritage and Mil Lel brands receiving five gold medals in the prestigious Australian Dairy Product Awards 2016, the nation’s only technical awards in this category.
Decided after a rigorous judging process of over 1,200 dairy products by 40 technical experts, Warrnambool Cheese and Butter received accolades such as the Highest Scoring Cheddar Cheese for Warrnambool Heritage Matured and Highest Aggregate Score for Cheddar Cheese – for Warrnambool Heritage.
GM for marketing of WCBF, Ted Lawson, said “Warrnambool Cheese & Butter is very proud to receive this recognition for our Mil Lel and Warrnambool Heritage products.
“What is evident from these accolades is that Australians still love our locally-made cheeses, and it wouldn’t be possible to create such quality products without the support of our local dairy farmers. It just goes to show how important it is for us to continue to support these local farmers’ livelihoods and work together to produce award winning, quality dairy products.”
Adding to the quintet of national awards, WCBF also took home an impressive nine accolades in the Victorian awards:
· Overall Cheese Champion: Mil Lel Superior Parmesan
· Highest Scoring Cheddar Cheese – Semi Matured: Warrnambool Heritage Semi-Matured
· Highest Scoring Cheddar Cheese – Matured: Warrnambool Heritage Matured
· Highest Scoring Cheddar Cheese – Vintage: Warrnambool Heritage Vintage
· Highest Aggregate Scoring Cheddar: Warrnambool Heritage
· Highest Scoring Cheddar Cheese: Warrnambool Heritage Matured
· Highest Scoring Consumer Pack Cheddar Cheese: Warrnambool Heritage Vintage
· Highest Scoring Very Hard Cheese: Mil Lel Superior Parmesan
· Most Outstanding Show Exhibit : Mil Lel Superior Parmesan
As well as being the sole technical dairy awards in Australia, the DIAA National Dairy Product Awards are also the nation’s oldest, now in its 121st year.