Free Subscription

  • Access daily briefings and unlimited news articles


Only $34.95 per year
  • Quarterly magazine and digital
  • Indepth executive interviews
  • Unlimited news and insights
  • Expert opinion and analysis

Aussies getting creative with cereal

BreakfastNew research from Galaxy has shed some light on the breakfast cereal habits of Australians.

Based on a new Galaxy Research study, commissioned by the Australian Breakfast Cereal Manufacturers Forum, 59 per cent of Australians love their cereal plain with milk, while the remaining 41 per cent of cereal eaters prefers sprucing it up with toppings.

The research was conducted with 1382 Australians, 18 years old and above, who ate breakfast cereal. It also reported that two million Australians post photos of breakfast cereals at least once a week — which is about 400 million breakfast bowls a year. Surprisingly, men are three times more likely to upload photos than women.

According to local food blogger and stylist, Jennifer Jenner, there is great leeway to personalise brekkie cereal bowls, which is why it became popular on social media.

“A simple, beautifully styled bowl of brekkie cereal can look gorgeous and taste great in itself. However with the opportunity for people to get adventurous with their flavour and styling combos, the brekkie bowl can be a real social media star,” said Jenner.

“We’re starting to see people get really creative using more savoury combinations such as cereal with vegetables or fresh herbs. This trend will continue to grow as it gives people the option of a quick and easy sweet or savoury brekkie cereal bowl.”

The Galaxy Research also showed that fruit (7.1 million) and nuts (3.8 million) were the most popular toppings for Aussies. While more than half a million (564,000) Australians added vegetables, almost a million (916,000) added herbs and spices and half a million (574,000) added spreads like peanut butter.

“We know from the research that those who choose a brekkie cereal bowl are looking for something that’s healthy (58 per cent) and fills them up (48 per cent) with most people describing their brekkie bowl as a meal to give them energy and keep them going throughout the day (44 per cent),” said Reeve, Advanced Accredited Practising Dietician and Australian Breakfast Cereal Manufacturers Forum director.

Based on this, mums are more likely to give their kids a bowl of brekkie cereal so they can have good eating morning habits while dads are little more adventurous with trying different flavours and combinations.

The latest Australian Bureau of Statistics data also showed people who ate breakfast cereal compared to other types of meals had trimmer waists and were most likely healthy. Also, by doing so they are meeting the required daily allowance of nutrients.

You have 3 free articles.