Free Subscription

  • Access daily briefings and unlimited news articles

Premium

Only $34.95 per year
  • Quarterly magazine and digital
  • Indepth executive interviews
  • Unlimited news and insights
  • Expert opinion and analysis

Aldi tops Australia supermarket rankings, yet again

Discount supermarket chain Aldi has topped the Canstar Blue Most Satisfied Customers Award, putting nine wins in its basket over the last 11 years.

Canstar’s latest supermarket review asked more than 2600 consumers about their grocery buying experience across major Australian chains, and Aldi scored highest not just in overall satisfaction rating but also in the quality of produce, store layout, and value for money.

“Aldi is known for its Special Buys, which could be a driver of its strong brand loyalty, as 66 per cent of people tell us that they pay attention to supermarket special offers and promotions,” said Megan Birot, Home and lifestyle expert, Canstar Blue

The survey also revealed that 91 per cent of customers go to the same supermarket for convenience and because it is “closer to home”, which was likely heightened by pandemic lockdowns.

While close to one fifth (18 per cent) admit that they could save more money in another supermarket but chose to stay loyal. The other top reasons for supermarket loyalty are having a familiar store layout and collecting reward points.

More than half of respondents (54 per cent) said they witnessed “panic buying” at their supermarket during Covid-19, while the remaining half (46 per cent) said that their supermarket ran out of the items they needed.

The pandemic has also changed the way consumers shop, with 29 per cent of respondents choosing not to go to the supermarket when a lockdown commences. Yet surprisingly, only 7 per cent purchase via online home delivery and 6 per cent choosing click and collect.

You have 3 free articles.